Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 19: The Neon Man (Slash Coleman & PBS): Making Good Video

The following story "Hero By Tens," is story #3 from "The Neon Man and Me." At it's foundation, it's a story about trust - which connects us to others and to ourselves. 

It's a true story based on a photograph I have of the actual incident that took place. My Dad and my Uncle were egging me on to rescue the girl's beach ball. My Mom wasn't all that enthusiastic about the plan. I paddled out after the ball, all the while the west wind was blowing it away. 

I returned without the beachball...without a hero's status, nearly 45 minutes later. The entire time I kept thinking about the theme to Jaws. "Da-dum. Da-dum."

When you go paddle out that far, the ocean floor just drops out from under you and the water seems to take on a life of it's own.





Part of my personal mission is to inspire men and boys to talk openly about their feelings related to bereavement, loss, male friendship and other difficult topics.

If you believe in this too, please help by sending a quick e-mail to 1 PBS station. The station list is available at http://www.slashcoleman.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment