Monday, November 16, 2009

To give you must receive. To get an answer, you must also ask.



Many of the artists I know have limiting beliefs that are related to low self esteem. In fact these types of artists who live in a “If I only had…..” world, far outweigh those with decent self-esteem. Unfortunately, these beliefs directly affect one’s success in life as an artist. Truth is, if most of these artists had everything in place to ensure a perfect, abundant career in the arts, they would still be in the same place, lurking around with  their un-abundant attitudes.

Through the years, I’ve had many highs and lows in terms of finances and how they related to my artistic career. For instance, my first year out of the gates as a visual artist I netted 30k. Four years later it was down to 7k.

Regardless, I’ve always maintained that everything that I’ve ever needed was easy enough to manifest. I believe that coming from a family of immigrants has helped me immensely in regards to manifesting. (I’ve heard it said that first generation Americans actually make the most successful entrepreneurs).

Here are some things I’ve manifested even when I didn’t have a penny to my name. Perhaps they’ll inspire you to think outside the box too:

1) Consider the student health clinic at a nearby medical college or alternative medicine school. You’ll receive care from students who are in the final stages of their program at greatly reduced rates. I’ve gotten excellent work from naturopaths, counselors, dentists, acupuncturists, massage therapists, and chiropractors just to name a few. The average price range for these services? $20.

2) Ask for a free gym membership. Although it’s not advertised, with a well written letter and a clear, professional plan most gyms will take your financial situation under consideration and offer either free membership or membership at a greatly reduced rate.

3) Ever considered a dentist barter? Art in exchange for care. When I noticed that my dentist had horrible taste in art, I made a definitive pitch he couldn’t refuse.


4) With a freshly minted bankruptcy and over $30,000 in student loan debts. PBS asked me to raise $65,000 to produce my special. I set up a living room tour and got down to business. A year and a half later I handed them a check.

5) In grad school, I was required to buy nearly $1,700 in books. I wrote to each of the publishing houses, told them my situation and the books started rolling in.

6) Needing $3,000 for massage school, I sent out a family fundraising letter, giving family members the option to donate or loan me money for school. Within 6 months I had all the money I needed.

Get with it. Quit lurking around thinking about what you don’t have and come up with a plan to create what you want. You’re an artist after all, creation is what it’s all about.


1 comment: