Sunday, November 1, 2009

Artists and Facebook: Networking Effectively

As you know, I look for at least one video each week that is applicable to the topic at hand. Since this week is dedicated to how artists use Facebook, I found this Youtube video very interesting. 

Many Faceboook users are actually making the decision to "unfriend"  their friends. The argument of having less friends ties into #7 in my previous blog post on why you should be dedicating more intimate time to a core group around you rather than spreading a de-caf version of your life to way too many people.

I've talked to a few of my artist friends with a large number of friends who have been doing this and they admit that it has helped them re-focus on their mission.
 

As a regular practioner of yoga, I'm constantly confronted with this delima which my teacher always reminds me about. Am I trying to do a diffucult  pose because of my ego (because I want other people in the class to see how great I am) or am I being in the moment and doing what I need to do to take care of myself. 

Granted, having a lot of Facebook friends is great for the ego, but if you're still a beginning or mid-career artist it may actually be getting in your way. 








No comments:

Post a Comment