Monday, August 24, 2009

Artist Myth #9e: Artists are Flakes


Myth Nine: Artists are flakes

In the past, when I’ve been so consumed in a painting that I existed on nothing but moon pies and chocolate milk for days, I have to admit, things like time manages to escape me. In fact, when I’m in the active phase of creation, things like appointments, food, the weather, and clean clothes seem so very unimportant.

This may be a contributing factor as to why, after dating non-artists my entire life and having those relationships fail miserably, it feels good to finally be dating a fellow artist. She can finally understand that side of me from the outside that can appear to be quite flakey at times.

We all need that balance of moderation, which is what I learn most when I practice yoga.


Today’s homework for you rigid types: Pick at least half a day this week to be a complete irresponsible flake to the extent that someone may say, “Wow, what’s gotten into you, that’s so unlike you to miss an appointment or not return a call.”


Today’s homework for you flakey types: Pick at least half a day this week to be a completely responsible to the extent that someone may say, “Wow, I really didn’t think you’d show up, or be on time, etc.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm the mom of a rigid type and a flaky type and my flaky one told me that she knew if an adult was wearing a watch they would probably be boring! He sister countered with, if someone was not wearing a watch they would probably not get anything done. They're my moderation. I learn so much from them. I don't own a watch but, if I need it, I can get the time from my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete