Monday, October 26, 2009

Fundraising: Using Craiglist



In 2002, I took my one man show “Love in Boxes,” from Northampton, MA to Portland, OR. I arrived at the theater space in need of volunteers to help me assemble the stage set which consisted of hundreds of cardboard boxes. A few weeks before my arrival, I posted an ad on Craigslist seeking volunteers. When I arrived at the theater, my volunteers were there.

Educated, rockin’, creative, weird, artsy, and passionate are just some of the words I would use to describe the volunteers I’ve used since then.  From housewives looking to get out of the house, to foreign exchange students looking to connect with others to people who are truly passionate about volunteer work in their community, Craigslist can bring you volunteers, and more importantly volunteers who will work for free.

Most people are willing to donate their time for little more than the spirit of contribution, or extra practice in their field. A film maker with a new camera may want a reason to try it out. A photographer looking to get more experience with head shots may need the extra practice. I’ve also used Craigslist volunteers in the past when:
  • I needed a film made.
  • I needed a music video made.
  • I was seeking legal advice regarding a performance contract.
  • I needed publicity photos for my new show.
  • I needed a stage manager, ushers and a cigar girl for my burlesque show.
  • I needed a T-shirt designed.


No comments:

Post a Comment