Thursday, October 22, 2009

Artist Myth #1: The Non Profit


I have to admit, in the early days of my artistic career, I chased so many “golden,” poorly-communicated collaborations that I nearly ran myself ragged. And, I would be lying if I told you that they no longer interest me. As an artist, I tend to be susceptible to signing up for things when they appeal to me on an emotional level. Now though, instead of walking blindly into them and hoping everything works out through a wing and prayer, I usually sleep on the idea, give myself some time and then, if I feel it will benefit me and is in line with my mission, I will be very clear up front about how much I expect to get paid, when I expect to be paid, and what the work will entail.

Through the years I’ve made the wait time more official by having an imaginary personal assistant on my side, (I’ll blog more about that in the coming months). It’s easier for me to tell someone, “I need to run it past my business partner and get back with you,” then it is for me to say, “Uh let me think about your proposition.”

No comments:

Post a Comment