Sunday, October 4, 2009

Artist Speak on Pricing



"When I perform, I occasionally let the locale dictate the price of my tickets. For instance, for certain community events where I don’t want the price to be prohibitive, say for families at a Children’s Hospital show or in very rural areas, it makes sense to sell tickets for $8. For all other venues my price range is $15 - $25, but I always ask the venue the going rate for their patrons. After all, they know their own customers best.

It helps if you know who you’re trying to reach with your artwork. If you sell paintings in the $25 - $125 range, it makes complete sense to do a show at a small café near a university. But if you sell paintings in the $2,000 - $3,000 range should you really expect to sell many at the same cafe?"

No comments:

Post a Comment